TEXAS TOP GUN SHOOTOUT
“In case some of you are wondering who the best is, they are up here on this plaque. Do you think your name will be on that plaque?” — Viper
Who is the best of the best? Are you ready to find out? $10,000 in cash is on the line November 11-13, 2022 at Katemcy Rocks.
Competitors can arrive in camp on Thursday afternoon. No wheeling until Friday morning. Pre-signed release forms from the website can be presented upon arrival or signed on-site at the office. Competitors MUST check in with Pam at the pavilion to register.
Tech and Registration: 8-5 Friday and 8-9 Friday morning.
This is a 2- day event with an elimination round on Day One.
Entry fee must be paid and releases must be signed before competitors can leave the campground. If you break down Friday or Saturday and cannot repair and compete Saturday and Sunday, you forfeit your $250 entry fee.
No practicing on any competition course is permitted. Anyone found on either course prior to their competition run will be automatically disqualified and forfeit the $250 entry fee.
Car must clear all four tires on entry gate. 2 minute penalty for failure to do so.
No winching allowed. No spotters strap, or pull lines allowed. No assistance to the driver.
Breakdown on course, no stopping of clock. No assistance to driver, but if the driver can repair and proceed withing the allotted time, that is acceptable.
If you veer off-course, you will get one warning and 2 minutes added to your time. If you stay off course (fail to follow course, or attempt to bypass course section), then you are disqualified.
$10,000 paid to first place.
All competitor entry fees (Approx. $6,250 total) will be paid out to 2nd, 3rd, and 4th places.
1. Elimination Round: Saturday, November 12, 2022 beginning at 10:00 a.m. This is a timed event. The 10 fastest times, plus one crowd favorite (people’s choice) voted on by
the crowd, advance to the finals Sunday. Time starts when your front tires break the line of theentry gate and ends when the front two tires clear the exit gate. Competitors must follow the course outline and stay within course boundaries, but narrow W. E. Rock style cones with not be utilized. There is no break down/repair time. Driver only course; No spotter permitted. Competition order will be determined by random drawing of two separate groups: those that have wheeled here previously in Group 1, and those who have never wheeled here in Group 2. Group 1 goes first. Competitors can watch other competitors in this round.
2. Final Round: Sunday, November 13, 2022 at 10:00 a.m. This is the more technical course with time limit. Time starts when your front tires break the line of the entry gate and ends when either: (1) the front tires clear the exit gate, (2) time maxes out. If time expires, the competitor with the most forward progression on the course wins. This will be marked on course for each rig. There is no break down/repair time. Driver only course; No spotter permitted. Time and distance on this course will decide who is Texas’s Top Gun.
Drivers will be required to stage in the holding area, away from the course for this round. No communication with spotters/friends/family/others about the course will be permitted so that each competitor has the same advantage and does not learn from earlier competitor’s lines. Any driver found violating this rule will be automatically disqualified and not permitted to run the course.
Sunday competition order will be determined by Saturday’s times in reverse order. So that people’s choice competitor goes first, and fastest time from Saturday goes last.
TEXAS TOP GUN COMPETITORS:
Competition is limited to the first 25 contestants. We have expanded out list to 25, but that's it.
No more after 25 unless someone else drops out. Here is your list:
1. Brian Pemberton, Weatherford, TX -UBC buggy
2. Dennis Lavaronte, Austin, TX - Kremer portal buggy
3. Steve Marquart, Ft. Worth, TX – transaxle buggy JHF portals
4. Justin Montgomery, League City, TX
5. Dave Wong, St. George, UT
6. Skip Scott, La Luz, NM – JHF unlimited moonbuggy
7. John Mad Cow Hembel, Hurricane, UT
8. Jacob Reeves, Lake Havasu City, AZ- red, white and blue JHF moonbuggy
9. Chris Kremer, Braselton, GA - 2 seat portal buggy
10. Craig Allen, Corona CA
11. Luis Gonzalez Blanco, Mexico -unlimited buggy
12. Maverick Volesky, Corpus Christi, TX – Brandt Built portal buggy
13. Julia Volesky, Corpus Christi, TX – JHF Goat built buggy
14. Eugene Whitford, III, Exeter, RI
15. Kane Chapman, San Angelo, TX -Kustom buggy
16. Brian “Woody” Swearingen, Hurricane, UT – 2021 JHF Trail buggy
17. Chris Basse, Hurricane, UT- Sasquatch Motorsports portal buggy
18. Dana Daniel, Flora Vista, NM -Sasquatch Motorsports rear steer portal buggy
19. Joe DiCenso, Attleboro, MA – single seat rear engine buggy
20. Jaime Smith, Charlottesville, VA – unlimited buggy
21. Dale Stotlar, Morgadore , OH -single seat comp car
22. Jeremy Claunch, Burleson, TX -K5 buggy
23. Michael Brassanini, Hurricane, UT, Red Dot buggy
24. Todd Foss, Maine – Early Bronco